You wake up in the morning and splash water on your face to help you wake up. The cold splash enables you to open your eyes fully and view the full extent of your reflection in the mirror. To your horror, something’s grown on your face while you were sleeping! The grotesquely white, rounded item on your face was never invited or wanted, and yet it just showed up, without your permission.
The age-old question is: “Should I pop, or not pot this monster pimple?”
The answer to this question is a simple, “No.” Here’s why:
- When you pop your pimple, you are breaking into a protective wall that is holding bacteria and oil. The bacteria can cause infection.
- Scabs form when the lesion begins to heal. This scab is difficult to cover with makeup and removing the scab can cause damage to your skin.
- Your skin may discolor when you burst a blemish. Areas of your skin may appear darker than your surrounding skin.
- Popping your pimple may produce more pimples when the excess oil and bacteria leak out and become reabsorbed back into your pores to repeat the cycle of pimples.
- Acne scarring can occur and cause sunken acne scars and discoloration.
Instead of popping your pimple, treat your pimple with a topical acne product. If you have acne scars, Dr. Sanaz Harirchian, M.D. offers effective laser acne scar treatment for you. Dr. Harirchian performs laser skin resurfacing with the fractional Co2 laser. Contact her office today.
Posted on the behalf of Sanaz Harirchian, M.D.
Circle us on Google+